Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

When I open a cue file, Nero Platinum 2017 says the file is to big to burn.

I converted FLAC files into a (wav) cue file. When I start the cue file, Nero says there is not enough free discspace.
When I convert the same FALC files into seperate WAV files, the files are burned to the CD.

Detail from the log file:
Not enough free discspace.
(Medium in drive: CD-R. Medium required by compilation: CD-R/RW.)
Data to be written: 4.953 MB (5.193.756.672 bytes)
Space available on the disc: 702 MB (736.960.512 bytes)

While the actual WAV file is 474MB

I used to have a 'demo' version of Nero, which worked fine with cue files, but I lost it. That's why I decided to buy the Platimum version. My OS is WIndows 7, 32bit.

What can I do?

Bert
3 people have
this question
+1
  • In this thread-

http://forum.nero.com/nero_eng/topics...

Nero acknowledged this problem and said they know the cause. However, I don't know if they're going to include the fix in an update to v2017 or whether one will need to buy v2018.

Would you upload a cue file to something like filedropper.com, dropbox.com, etc. and provide the link to it. I can then try it out in the Beta v2018.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• If Nero acknowledges the problem, and knows what causes it, I suggest you solve it.
    The main reason why I bought this program was that I can process cue files. If Nero can't do that, I have bought the wrong software. I don't want to spend any more money on a 2018 version.

Please be aware that I used to be very happy with the Nero software. Don't let this issue ruin that thought.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I bought it 25 june, so within the last 30 days.
    Assuming that the 2016 version does not have this problem, I prefer a free exchange of the v2017 for the v2016. Would that be possible?

You can get my cue file here https://we.tl/F8lutA2T0Y
    Please keep me posted
    • view 9 more comments
    • Wither 1,

Until a few months ago, I had no idea what a cue sheet was or how to make a .cue file. But when I saw what you were doing to Charles in topic cue not working nero 17 . if you try to burn cd it says disc is too small. This happen after first update. Worked in original version., I decided to look into it. Through the magic of Google, I was quickly able to create a .cue file and confirm the bug described by Charles (and now, by Bert). You may recall that during that process, you asked me, "Why is it necessary for you to interfere with my efforts to help? If we can't reconcile the problem, then he can contact tech support."

In fact, both Charles and I have submitted bug reports with no fix forthcoming! Here are the files I sent to Tech Support [512 MB]. (If you care to use your extraordinary Nero access to expedite the issue, the support ticket is NERO-170511-0080).

Now, in that same topic, you also said, "Since a cue file is basically a text file describing the contents of a disc image ... ". I would think that anyone reading that statement would reasonably assume that you had a basic understanding of cue sheet usage. From what has been going on in this topic, I think it would be reasonable for an onlooker to conclude that you haven't the slightest clue! In response to your request for a .cue file, I gave you a link with instructions to make your own. That went nowhere. I gave you two more links. Nowhere again. Then Bert complied with your request by supplying a link to his .cue file. As I suspected all along, you had no idea what to do with it (and apparently still don't!).

In June of last year, Lucky Phil provided an example .cue file and its usage in topic Cue files, or sometimes called cue sheets - Nero Platinum 2016. You were a participant in that topic. Did you learn anything from it?

If you have any interest in this issue and are someday able to operate on .cue files independently, with a little experimentation you will be able to verify the error Nero made. Need a hint? While processing the .cue file, the total disc space required would correctly involve accumulating the track durations; instead of doing that, they add in the total duration of the reference file for every track. So, in my case, a single track .cue file indicates that the disc space required is about 525 MB. If the .cue file divides the reference file into 2 tracks, that becomes about 1 GB. For the 20 tracks I originally used, about 10 GB is supposedly required. (Whoops, I gave away the store!).

Finally, from my perspective, this is another one of those issues that would be embarrassing to Nero and get fixed immediately. As I indicated elsewhere, I was told on May 27th that, "We forwarded to our development team, they found the root of the issue and they are working on fixing it as soon as possible." Below, Bert asks if we are both Nero programmers. Now, even though you are not a programmer, it must be very clear from the above that this particular error would take minutes to fix, not months!

Oh, before I close, I just want to say, "You're welcome!"
    • Omega Tester,
      This is what I already suspected. Even I understood what you meant.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Bert,

I was able to use your cue sheet to burn a CD with Nero 2016 Burning ROM and ImgBurn. With Nero 2017 Burning ROM, the "too big to burn" nonsense occurs. As mentioned in the post referenced above, this particular issue was introduced in an update provided by Nero on March 17th, an update purporting to fix another cue sheet issue. I was told on May 27th:

Dear ___________,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide you with a specific date for the fix.
    We forwarded to our development team, they found the root of the issue and they are working on fixing it as soon as possible.

Today marks exactly 4 months since the bug was introduced to us. Nero apparently doesn't properly test their updates! In any case, even if they didn't knowingly post a faulty update, they were informed about the error months ago, acknowledged the error, and have failed to issue a correction in the intervening ~2 months.

Have you considered using a different program such as the free ImgBurn? If you install this program, some "extras" will be offered on one of the dialogs (as with many other free programs). To avoid the "extras", select "Custom" install for them and then uncheck the installation.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I am new here in this Forum, and this is actually the first topic I ever started, I really appreciate the efforts you two make. I've always experienced Nero as very reliable, I don't want to use another program. I'm not sure if I understand this right, but both of you are programmers of Nero?
    Do you think there will be an update for this in future? Or is it worth asking if I can exchange this version for the v2016?

Wither 1
    if you want I can provide you the wav file that belongs to the cue. I don't think it's smart if I upload the link in this forum. I am not a programmer, obviously, but I think you can use any wav file over 42 minutes, and change the name in the cue file name.

Once again, thank you!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Bert,

You could try to get answers to your questions by submitting a Tech Support request.

Support Issues

Help with issues involving recent Nero versions can be obtained directly from Nero by using the email contact form at Technical Support via e-mail. This requires a valid product serial number which has the form XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX (8 groups of 4 characters/digits separated by dashes. Note: The serial number will not have the letter 'O'. Since this is a public forum, DO NOT post your serial number. If your serial number is not accepted, use the contact form at Nero Customer Service.

There are some Nero employees that appear here in the forum at times:

Neither Wither 1 nor myself are Nero programmers or even Nero employees. I have no idea what the qualifications of the Nero employees are.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Bert,

I have no idea when of if they will fix this, but I suspect they won't. On August 6, 2017, Wither 1 indicated that he had inquired about the status of this issue. He has not been heard from since!

A Review

On September 2, 2014, Dan posted topic nero does not split files according to cue file.

On June 13, 2016, Lucky Phil demonstrated the successful use of a .cue file using Nero 2016 in topic Cue files, or sometimes called cue sheets - Nero Platinum 2016

On March 17, 2017, Nero released an update to Nero Burning ROM listing the following fix involving .cue files:
    "Fixed an issue where wrong information was extracted from a CUE sheet so that when disc images were created in Nero Burning ROM the disc image would include the first audio track, only"

(Using Nero Burning ROM 2014, 2015 or 2016, I am able to successfully use my .cue files that fail in Nero 2017 Burning ROM. In other words, I cannot replicate the original "single track issue" .)

On April 27, 2017, Charles posted topic cue not working nero 17 . if you try to burn cd it says disc is too small. This happen after first update. Worked in original version.. In that topic, on May 25th, he indicated that he had sent data to Tech Support previously.

On May 11, I submitted the issue to Tech Support (support ticket is NERO-170511-0080). On May 27th, 2017, I was told that, "We forwarded to our development team, they found the root of the issue and they are working on fixing it as soon as possible."

On June 16, 2017, Bert posted topic When I open a cue file, Nero Platinum 2017 says the file is to big to burn. . On July 22, 2017, a Tech Support submission was made.

What is the problem?

As I indicated above, this issue does not appear to be difficult to fix:

"While processing the .cue file, the total disc space required would correctly involve accumulating the track durations; instead of doing that, they add in the total duration of the reference file for every track."

In other words, it seems to be simply a matter of bookkeeping, not some complicated issue with disc interfaces or the use of Microsoft libraries. However, as I indicated above, I am unable to duplicate the original "single track issue" reported in 2014. So, there may well be more to it? In any case, it has been 5 months!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Bert-

I'm told that you last requested that they change v2017 to v2016 for you and they responded in the negative. That's the last they have heard from you.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Wither 1,

Charles initiated this issue in topic cue not working nero 17 . if you try to burn cd it says disc is too small. This happen after first update. Worked in original version.,. He submitted the issue to Tech Support. After his post, I replicated the issue and submitted by own issue report on May 11th, support ticket NERO-170511-0080.

Then, Bert posted the issue here and filed yet another issue report to Nero.

On May 27th, I was told, "Thank you for your reply.
    Unfortunately, we are not able to provide you with a specific date for the fix.
    We forwarded to our development team, they found the root of the issue and they are working on fixing it as soon as possible.
    ".

In the interim, you expressed an interest in checking out the issue yourself, but couldn't figure out how to do it. Subsequent assistance should have made it very easy to do, but you refuse to address the problem.

And, now, after all of this, you post to Bert that you are "told that you last requested that they change v2017 to v2016 for you and they responded in the negative. That's the last they have heard from you."

So, does Nero have any intention of fixing this issue?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi again,

The NERO support team has sent me a serial number for Nero Platinum 2016. I am happy, it's working fine for me.

This is thier response about the bug:
    "- Lastly, we will forward this issue to our developers team in order to provide a fix for the future versions."
    So, let's hope it will be solved in the 2018 version.

For me, this issue is solved, thank you all for your sympathy.

Bert
    • Bert,

I asked Since 5.5 (Employee) about this in topic New Version? 2018. He chose to ignore that question (and most others I've asked that concern Nero bugs).

Then, there were the Wither 1 tests that either never happened or simply haven't been reported,

In any case, I was told the root cause was identified months ago, yet no update have been forthcoming. As I understand it, Nero 2018 arrives on September 19th, so it's already in the boxes and shipped to vendors.

Also, it would seem to me that when users take the time to document, report , and provide replicable test cases for bugs, there should be some reward! In your case, if this has been fixed in Nero 2018, I would expect a free license for that, not Nero 2016.
    • Well, I am happy with this solution. At least it is burning my audio CD's, as I was uesd to. Maybe I'm too pessimistic, but since Since 5.5 is reluctant with his answer, I'm afraid it's still not resolved.
      Maybe in future I will upgrade, but then I have to be sure this bug is not existing anymore. I will check this forum first.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm