Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Where have the File Backup Jobs gone in Nero Backitup 2014 ?

Hello.
I've been using Backitup 2014 v15.0.23.0 since some years now, and had 4 file backup jobs that always appeared when starting the program.
I've recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without reformatting nor erasing the drive - system was only updated over the previous version.
But now when starting the program there are no file backup jobs, as if starting from scratch, only offering what do I want to backup from my hard drive.
Matter is, I want to continue my previous incremental backup jobs - not start all over again, there are some 36 DVDs that I would have to record again - very time consuming! Is there any way to restore the File Backup Jobs as they were before upgrading the system? Many thanks in advance.
1 person has
this problem
+1
  • Hi Daniel-

I don't know if you'll be able to recover them.

The normal location for the BackItUp job files are here-

C:\Users\"your user name"\AppData\Roaming\Nero\Nero 2014\Nero BackItUp

There are two folders- Cache and Files.

When you installed Win 10 over Win 7, it may have created a directory on the C: drive called Windows old. That's where you should look for the files. If they're there, then create the same path in Win 10 and move the Cache and Files folder there.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly

• Wither 1, thanks so much for your response.
    I searched for them and they seem to exist, but in the following directory :
    "C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Roaming\Nero\Nero 15\Nero BackItUp"

I believe they're there because the two mentiones folders are there (Cache and Files), and within the Files folder there are a lot of them - 316 in fact, with extensions .nbi and .nji, spanning in dates from August 2014 to the date of the last backup I made before upgrading to Windows 10.

I then recreated the directory you indicate, that is,
    "C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Roaming\Nero\Nero 2014\Nero BackItUp",
    and copied (didn't delete the original ones just in case), but results are the same.
    Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• My apologies. I think the Nero 15 folder is the correct folder since v2014 came with BackItUp 15. I should note that your version is out of date.

The only backups I made with BackItUp 15 was to the cloud which is no longer viable. I'm trying to do a backup with it right now but for some reason it's doing the continuous circle when I try to run a custom backup. It's not supposed to do that but all my partitions are marked as well as specific folders on one partition.

What happens if you double click on the latest .nji file?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• OK, I did both tests... if I double click on the latest .nji file, Nero opens and displays a directory of the whole disk, offering "Step 1 of 3 - Select what to back up".
    On the other hand, when double clicking on the latest .nbi file, Nero opens again but this time it asks " "Step 1 of 2 - Select what to restore", along with a selectable green square including a long serial number and the timestamp of now (that is, date and time of when I double clicked to file - nothing to do with the "real" last backups).
    Don't know where to go from here... any ideas?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly

• I was hoping that after you double clicked on the .nbi file to get to the restore screen and then closed out and reopened, the backup would be available to run again.

Have to think about it.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I don't know what you did the back up to.

If you backed up to discs, go to the last one and find the last .nbix file. Right click on it and select Open. Windows will say it can't open it. Opt to open it with a list of installed programs. You'll probably have to browse to-

C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero BackItUp

Select the Backitup.exe file. Then, select Open.

BackItUp should open and your backups should be available.

If you didn't back up to discs, then find the .nbix file on the drive you backed up to.

I made a backup yesterday and this shows the .nbix file-

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I’m frustrated
    Hello, Wither 1, sorry for delay in answering.
    Ok, of the 4 backups I've got, three of them have been done to DVDs (not rewritable), and the fourth one to an external hard disk.
    No .nbix file was found on any of the DVDs to where the three first backups were made - only .nbi's and .txt's.
    On the other hand, .nbix's files do exist on the external hard disk where I made the fourth backup - but when opening the last one with the Backitup.exe application as you suggested, a blank Backitup application begins as always since this problem began - as if I wanted to backup new files from scratch.
    Sigh...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thanks for trying those things.

I still don't understand why BackItUp isn't seeing the files that you put in the Nero 15\Nero BackItUp folder. I assume that folder is in the path for the Win 10 installation.

At this point, I don't know if uninstalling/reinstalling Backitup would help. Since v15 isn't Win 10 compatible, it might be worthwhile to right click on the BackItUp.exe file and select Properties. Then, check the box to run it as administrator. In the Compatiblity tab, set it to run in Win 7 compatibility mode and apply the change. Then try running it.

The other option would be to download and install the most recent version of BackItUp. I can also give you the last v15 installation file that was available since your version is out of date.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi!
    I tried to run it as an administrator in Win 7 compatibility mode. No such luck, so if you can please do provide me with the last v15 installation file that was available; else let me know where could I find the most recent version of BackItUp compatible with Win10, which I hope it's still free.
    Many thanks for your efforts to help.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Here's a link to the last file for BackItUp v15 that I have-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eok9v175v4l...

You can get the trial version of BackItUp 2019 at nero.com, downloads. I forgot you have to buy it. Seems to me it came with the Nero 2019 suite.

I can't remember but it seems to me that if you install BackItUp 2019, it takes over for all versions back to v2014. As a result, I would try to work with the file I gave you.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm