Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
I’m frustrated

Why does Nero Split the iso into 2GB segments and why does it re-encode h264 m2ts?

I have searched high and low to find an an answer to this question and can't seem to locate one. I'm running Windows 7 and have plenty of disk space so there's no reason why I can't save a 12GB .iso to my hard drive or USB Drive. Why does Nero insist on splitting the file?

Also, Why does Nero insist on rencoding H264 files to MPEG2 for burning to Blu Ray? Even Toast Titanium for Mac will let me burn h264 m2ts video files to blu ray without any re-encoding.

Am I overlooking settings in Nero 2018 that would allow me to change these 2 behaviors?

Thank you for your time.

Matt Caz
1 person has
this question
+1
  • Hello Matt-

If you've selected Blu-ray disc when you opened Nero Video, the files will be encoded to .m2ts. If you've selected DVD-Video, they would be encoded to .mpeg-2. If you start out in one of the "Make" options, when you're done creating your project, you would select Next and then select Create a Disc and chose Blu-ray disc.

A file on a ISO formatted disc cannot be larger than 2^31-1 in size, as the file's size is stored in a signed 32 bit value, for which 2^31-1 is the maximum.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• Thanks Wither. I can't ever get Nero to not re-encode the m2ts files. Even when I choose Blu Ray disk. I must be too stupid to use this program and should stick with Toast Titanium which just works on the mac and doesn't re-encode them.

NOTE: When I add a h264 m2ts file to Nero Video in the make blu ray screen, it more than doubles the size of the file and there is 0% SmartEncoding so that tells me that it has to be a MPEG2 .m2ts file in order to be smartencoded.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Note that mpeg-4 is just a variation on mpeg-2. Your conclusion that the original must be mpeg-2 because of the encoding size, isn't correct. There can be any number of reasons for the file to be re-encoded. You originally said that the files were being re-encoded to mpeg-2 and my reply was based on that. When you burn the disc, the stream files should all be .m2ts. You can look at them on the disc in Windows (File) Explorer.

You can disable SmartEncoding if you wish.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Matt,

I suppose that you've concluded that disabling SmartEncoding is exactly the wrong thing to do? Have you had any success?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly

• Does Nero plan to add H264/MPEG4-AVC support when exporting to Blu-ray or when creating a Blu-ray disc ?

"The BDAV container format used on Blu-ray Discs can contain one of the three mandatory supported video compression formats H.262/MPEG-2 Part 2, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC or SMPTE VC-1[15] and audio compression formats such as Dolby Digital, DTS or uncompressed Linear PCM. Optionally supported audio formats are Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD.[11][16]

The BDAV container format used on AVCHD equipment is more restricted and can contain only H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video compression and Dolby Digital (AC-3) audio compression or uncompressed LPCM audio.[14]"
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• As far as I know, the AVC format option when exporting is what you're talking about. When burning, the media streams are .m2ts.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Matt,

I've downloaded your video and was able to "SmartEncode" it, maintaining the video format. Your screenshots didn't show what you were selecting on the General tab of the Recording Format Options. (I used NTSC and SmartEncoding enabled). When I disabled SmartEncoding, but left "Keep Source Quality" as is, the file was encoded at almost twice the bitrate (trying to make something out of nothing?)..

I made a video of my process. I aborted the second run, but redid it without recording to get the data below. Here's the video on YouTube:

Here's the basic MediaInfo data for the Smart vs the NotSmart:

P.S. Pictures are easily added using the "Add Image" button at the lower right of the Reply box, but adding them to a Comment is a little more difficult!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Omega Tester: Thank you for taking the time to check this out for me:
    Did you uncheck "Standard" in the general tab or leave it checked. When I leave it checked, it wants to recode it. when it's unchecked, it shows 100% smart encoding.
    I'll watch your video.
    • view 2 more comments
    • Omega Tester: whats the best file format to drop on Nero to burn a Blu-ray? m2ts? mp4 mkv? I've been using m2ts as thats what blu ray uses.
    • Matt,

From Wiki: "The Matroska Multimedia Container is an open standard free container format"

From Wiki: "M2TS is a filename extension used for the Blu-ray Disc Audio-Video (BDAV) MPEG-2 Transport Stream (M2TS) container file format"

From Wiki: "MPEG-4 Part 14 or MP4 is a digital multimedia container format ..."

From Wiki: "H.264 or MPEG-4 Part 10, Advanced Video Coding (MPEG-4 AVC) is a block-oriented motion-compensation-based video compression standard"

From Wiki: 'MPEG-2 (a.k.a. H.222/H.262 as defined by the ITU) is a standard for "the generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information'."

First, let me say that I am no expert at this stuff. But, on the other hand, the experts seem to be in hiding. For years now, users have been asking about the criteria that have to be met to consider a video to be SmartEncodable. I am not aware of any Nero employee posting those criteria.

Now, I would say that using the .m2ts container with either MPEG-2 or MPEG-4, part 10 (AVC) video should work. Now that you've found a workable case, why not stick with it?

BTW, I have demonstrated (and recorded) the issue mentioned by Wither 1 elsewhere that Nero Video sometimes is a little confused about what settings it is using. Here's the YouTube video of that:

Since Wither 1 was the first to mention this, I'll leave it to him to file the Tech Support report.

Summary?

1. Your initial difficulties may have been exacerbated by the Nero Video bug Wither 1 noticed.

2. The fact that the "Keep Source Quality" setting is not defined may have exacerbated your difficulties.

3. The lack of any stated criteria for SmartEncoding definitely exacerbated your difficulties (and everyone else's).
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Omega Tester: Here's an example of whats not working for me. I have a file thats 11GB and is m2ts. when I drop it in Nero, it says it's 32GB and no matter what settings I use, it's always 0% Smart encoding.
    Here's the media info for it:
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Is 'keep source quality' also available when exporting to AVC as well ? Has Nero Recode 2018 a similar option to 'keep source quality' ? Thanks.
    • nbdg223,

Above, I quoted Abraxas01 (Employee) as having posted, "You should be able to use these files for a BD output with the output setting 'Keep source quality'. In this case the files will not be re-encoded but stay in the original source quality."

After which, you said, "Many thanks Omega Tester. At last Nero adds the option not to re-encode but stream copy! I've long wanted such an option in Nero to copy the video but convert the audio only. Is 'keep source quality' also available when exporting to AVC as well ? Has Nero Recode 2018 a similar option to 'keep source quality' ?"

At some point, I stated that some clarification is needed about the relationship between SmartEncoding and the new "Keep source quality" setting.

The tool tip for the new setting says:

My testing above indicates that with SmartEncodng disabled, "Keep source quality" recodes a SmartEncodable file at a high bitrate.

In any case, I don't see that Nero has added any "copy" function beyond the standard SmartEncoding. Hopefully, a clear explanation will be forthcoming from Nero.
    • Thanks for the information Omega Tester. I'll continue to use XMedia Recode when needing to copy the video but convert the audio to another format.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated