Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Will Nero 2018 restore a back up from Nero 4

Found old back up that I would like to look at. Used Nero 4. Will Nero '18 restore the backup. I have my serial number for Nero 4, but dont have the program.
1 person has
this question
+1
  • Hi David-

Do you have Nero 4 or Backitup and Burn 4? The only Nero 4 was Nero Burning Rom 4. The Nero suites started with v6.

What is the first 4 characters of your serial number (don't post the whole thing here).

Supposedly, BackItUp 2018 will restore backups made with older versions. However, one would need to have the job files associated with the backup which are stored on the original computer from which the backup was created.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• Thx for the reply.

First four are 9X03. That is to v.10. I had the entire suite. When I found this backup, I downloaded BackItUp4 (part of the suite) from the Nero site, used the key I had on a Word Doc, and all went well. Green check and all, but the program did nothing when I tried to restore the backup. It just did nothing. Didn't stall the computer, or anything. It just remained idle.

So, I thought maybe it needed the Nero v.10 software to get it to work. I downloaded the program and put in the key I had. It said the key was unlicensed. Strange, since the BackItUp key was accepted. I have keys for the suite. Haven't tried the others to see if they work.

I'm not able to spend any $ on softare right now, but I was hoping to check out the backup.

Thanks again.
    David
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• Your serial number is for v10. However, BackItUp in v10 is v5.8.

I can't remember for sure but I think BackItUp and Burn 4 was part of v9 but the actual version number is 5.2.

You can go here-

http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads/pre...

and download the entire suite.

As I mentioned earlier, to do a restore, the job files which were created when the backup was made need to be available. Those are stored here-

C:\Users\"your user name"\AppData\Roaming\Nero\Nero 10\Nero BackItUp

If they're not there, you won't be able to restore the backup from within BackItUp.

There are a couple of options:

You can open BackItUp and click on Tools. You can create a bootable disc using the Image Tool. You can then boot your computer from that disc and restore your backup. If you have a UEFI system, you will first have to disable SecurBoot in the MBR-BIOS.

Second, you can change the extension of the backed up files to .zip (for instance, .nba to .zip). You can then open the .zip files using a ZIP programs and then use the Extract feature to extract your files wherever you wish.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thanks again for your help. Last night I tried the second option, and it worked fairly well. There was one of the files that showed up as corrupt and I could restore only a portion of it. For the most part, I'm good.

Thanks again!
    David
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated