Will nero express 7 assigned to samsung sh-s182m work in hp dvd640b e152

I bought a new(open box)TSSTcorp sh-s182 m lightscribe with nero (samsung) express.
The 182 rom is not working(fried). Can I use this nero version with another dvd rom other than samsung?
I have been using nero since my first best buy computer (ctx) with a tdk burning rom.(ahead nero 5)package. Then I have bought another tdk rom with 5.5.9.0. Then I updated my computer with a home rebuild that came with express 6.0.0.6. Then I picked up a yard sale HP with a dvd640b lightscribe, which I was able to load my nero express 6 with(but no lightscribe drivers). So, this Samsung sh-s182 m (nero disc) has , I think, software for lightscribe. Can I use it in my hp dvd640b rom? The samsung nero is version 7.5.9.1. I would hate to buy another TssTcorp sh-s182m, if I can use the version 7 in the hp dvd640b e152. I hate to throw this in, but, is the samsung a better rom than the HP rom? Oh yeah, I am old school xp sp3, p4(ht) 2.8ghz, 1gb ram.
1 person has
this question
+1
  • First, I should note that this is a DVD-RAM drive since you can't write to a DVD-ROM drive.

What's interesting is that the manual says that it comes with Nero 6 but that may have changed later in the production run..

How did you get a new 8 year old drive? If it was fried when you got it, it probably wasn't new. In regards to your question, if the original owner of the drive installed the Nero software on his system, then you won't be able to activate the patents since the serial number would be registered to someone else.

Based on what it says on the label, it's only usable with the DVD Writer which is the name of your drive.

You have an Essentials version and it's not up to date. If you can get the serial number for your Essentials version, you can get a deep discount on either Nero 2015 Classic or Nero 2015 Platinum. Both are XP SP3 compatible. Even if you don't have the serial, they run specials all the time. If you want to use Nero, I think this is your best option.

You can always send an e-mail to techsupport@nero.com to get the definitive answer to your question.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• This installation disc for Nero 7.5.x.x is limited for use with the Samsung recorder only. (hint on the disc: OEM version for sale with DVD Writer only).
    Means, you can install this copy of Nero on Windows XP, but Nero will not recognize another recorder drive than the Samsung drive. You will not be able to select the HP recorder as target for burning, but the "Image Recorder" only, which is a virtual drive only.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• You are right, on the box it says nero express 6.
    I was told by the seller that it was a new unused(NOS) product with the nero cd.
    Not sure what you are saying dvd ram???-HP DVD640b<>SH-S182M???
    These are dvd rom's. and both record to dvd-r.
    When I mentioned "fried", I was referring as the dvd cd tray would not open, even after several tests, (computer, right click, open)(unhook ide ribbon). I did take the cpu board from my bad SH-S182M and swapped it in the new SH-S182M and the tray opened, but, would not play(which my 182 quit reading).
    Right now as I type, I went ahead and loaded the nero cd, as pic in prev-post, and it is loading. I will test to see if it will function and post results.
    I put one of my nero serial numbers in that link and it showed the nero 15 for about 60.00.
    Back in the early days, with my nero 5 version, you could get the next step 5 versions from a free download from nero. Oh the good ole days.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• here is the tool info for the 640b with that nero 7 disc.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Well, here is the results. As I was creating a dvd movie, all areas showed to be a trial version for 30 days?. So, even though it recognized the download and the hp dvd writer, it comes out as a trial version? So, I guess I will have to reload my OEM version 6 again. Also, I do have dazzle studio 10 which works pretty good.
    As far as audio goes, I really like the nero 5 versions for recording and editing.
    I only recently wanted to do / use a dvd writer to transfer my camera mvi's to dvd disc.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This reply was removed on 2015-03-23.
    see the change log
    Yes, you're using a DVD-ROM (which is read only) disc but the drive is a CD/DVD-RAM (Random Access Memory) drive. You can't write to a CD/DVD-ROM drive. One has to discern the difference between the type of disc and the type of drive.

You can't use your v6 serial number in v7 and vice versa. Note that "updates" for a particular version have always been free. Due to the age of v7, the update disc now is available for a fee. However, using it will only update v7. It will still be an Essentials version. Ditto for v6. A person has always had to pay for a "upgrade" to the next or later versions.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This reply was removed on 2015-03-23.
    see the change log